Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Art: The Incredulity of St. Thomas

"Blessed are those who have not seen and believed." Ever heard of a doubting Thomas? Most people say at one time or another, "I'll believe it when I see it!" This is just human nature, and faith is something we know in our hearts and can believe without actually seeing with our eyes. St. Thomas is shown in this painting by Caravaggio (1601) touching the wounds of Christ and restoring his faith, finally saying, "My Lord and my God!" I like the dramatic composition and lighting of this painting, and the furled foreheads of the faithful men (looking for proof) while the face of Christ is so serene and set in shadow. A beautiful, peaceful, and personal reflection of faith for all.

1 comment:

  1. It is a beautiful painting..I often wonder how I would act when Jesus walked this earth..Would I follow or would I be afraid? Like to think I would follow..but I always wonder.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Emily and I appreciate it...meow! Smile today. :)