Thursday, April 22, 2010

Thankful Thursday: Happy Earth Day!

Butterflies make me think of happy times...watching them flutter around in the summer, visiting all the brightly colored flowers or trying to capture them for a brief moment and feeling connected to nature is always fun. It was a rare and special moment for me to get to capture this butterfly with cocoons and I always enjoy going into butterfly houses (green houses) where they are so friendly, they want to land on you wherever you turn. Today I'm thankful for the butterflies that flutter so gracefully around me and makes my heart fill with joy for these wonderful moments in nature. Happy Earth Day!

5 comments:

  1. What a neat photo! Was it made locally? I'd love to go down to Calloway Gardens and visit their butterfly house. I've been to the one at Huntsville's Botanical Gardens and one other one in Virginia. They are really cool.

    For a few summers when the kids were in late elementary and early middle school we were lucky to have black swallowtail caterpillars on our fennel plants. The first year we noticed that every day there were fewer and fewer, so we built a butterfly habitat out of large embroidery hoops and tule netting, but in some branches and caterpillars and fed them fennel. We raised several butterflies this way every summer for a few years. It was neat. And another weird thing on the front porch to entertain the neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! That should read "put" in some branches, not "but" in some branches. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this one was at the butterfly house at the botanical gardens in Huntsville, taken about 8 or 9 years ago when I first visited there and all my kids were little. My oldest daughter had raised butterflies at her elementary school for a few years when we were in WA, and we liked visiting the one in Seattle, so when we moved to AL, we were thrilled to see another butterfly house so close to us again. This is one of my happy memories of here that I'm trying to pack up and take with me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting my blog. Happy Earth Day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy Butterflies so much..Dragonflies too.
    Had a Dragonfly last year on my clothes line..was posing for me. I kept talking to it and got a few cute pictures..
    Happy Earth Day and since I am a day late..Happy Fingerprint Friday too..

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Emily and I appreciate it...meow! Smile today. :)