Sunday, December 6, 2009

Sunday's Art Dots

Today I finished crocheting this pair of potholders and really enjoyed using this multi-colored yarn. The colors in the yarn reminded me of flecks of paint and I thought it looked like a painter's pallet, and would look great in the kitchen. I know that cooking is also an art, but something I probably will never master. Possibly the beginnings of a painting though? There is a painting by Georges Seurat called "Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grand Jatte," done in 1886 with a technique known as pointillism. He used tiny brushstrokes of pure color contrasts to play on light that looks like dots up close, but makes a beautiful painting at the correct viewing distance. I made a self-portait once using this technique of pointillism. I used the back of a paintbrush to make the little dots and was very surprised at what a likeness that can be made just by little dots. This is a photo of me at the time I painted that self-portrait. Not exactly the same photo, it was a close-up of my face and since it was already a 3/4 view, I didn't really change it for even then I didn't care for my a-symmetrical face. I don't have the painting to show...I wouldn't be surprised if it's still in my parents' attic somewhere, covered in dust...and cobwebs.








1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Emily and I appreciate it...meow! Smile today. :)